Welcome to an exciting new school year at Horizon Montessori I. I would like to introduce myself as your School Parent Liaison. Hello. My name is Jason Hernandez and this is my first year with Horizon Montessori I and I look forward to working with you and your children to make this a productive school year. I graduated from Texas A&M University Kingsville with an undergraduate degree in both Psychology and Biology. I also have a Masters of Arts in Psychology/Counseling. I have over 7 years experience in higher education, 5 years as an academic advisor at South Texas College and 2 years as director of Student Service at Kaplan College. I look forward to using my unique experience and education to foster better communication between the faculty, staff, and the parents.
The Parent Liaison Program is a Horizon Montessori I program which began in 2013. The mission of the Parent Liaison Program is to empower parents by assisting with communication between school and home and positively influencing student achievement.
Research continues to emphasize the importance of parent involvement in promoting school success. Today’s families constantly deal with stress that impacts students’ abilities to excel in academic activities. If schools are to do an effective job of educating their increasingly diverse populations of students, they must find ways to communicate and build more cooperative working relationships with parents. I look forward to bridging these gaps together.
How do Liaisons help parents?
• Work in partnership with school and parents to nurture opportunities for their child’s success.
• Provide valuable information about school procedures, instructional programs and the resources available to them at the school
• Assist parents in developing effective parenting strategies based on their child’s stage of development.
• Providing parents with information on specific services that may benefit their families (community agency referrals).
• Helping parents find opportunities to volunteer.